Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I’d Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had: My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High

by Tony Danza, yes, that Tony Danza

If the lad suffered from Attention Deficit Disorder maybe that explains that rambling title.

The school is a multi-level colossus that even boasts its own police station. Everyone entering the building passes through metal detectors. The teachers are required to sign in each day with an amazon who acts as the gorgan at the gate. I realize that I last entered a Nova Scotia High School in the 60ies but it’s sad to think that it’s come to this. Really haven’t thought about the possibility that such measures prevail at Halifax’s new High School. I know for a fact that such conditions do not apply to the high school I visited in St. John’s NFLD or to schools in Austin Texas and certainly not to schools in Oakville.

The book is enimently readable though the final afterwords do become somewhat pedantic and preachy.

No comments: