Sunday, August 09, 2015

Go Set a Watchman

(Isaiah 21:6) For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman; let him declare what he seeth:

This verse quoted from the prophet Isaiah would seem to be the source of the title. Chapter 7 in the book.

The adult Jean Louise returns home from New York to the community Scout grew up in, seeing it with adult eyes. There are frequent flash backs to her childhood experiences inspired by what those eyes now see.

The traumas she experienced listening to school yard gossip and picking up miss-information she lacked a mother to correct continue to haunt her.

(1 Corinthians 13:11) When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a (wo)man, I have put away childish things.

The genie is out of the bottle but part of Scout would love to put it back.

This is a woman who smokes and defies convention by walking around in public in pants.

Those who are disturbed by this book have probably never read To Kill a Mockingbird, knowing it only from the romanticized movie version, a common error in this post-literate society.

No comments: